  • Subject: Software Excellence (was: Computerworld article - it's not just the box dummy!)
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:57:40 EDT

Scott,

<<snip>>
> I wonder how much of the image problem our favorite box suffers
>  from stems from a relative lack of quality software solutions (and I
>  mean real quality, not just the lack of a GUI)?  I know there's
>  gazillions of apps available for the 400, but how much is garbage
>  code holding the box back?  God knows I've seen enough junk RPG
>  programs (from big name vendors even) to last me a life time - and
>  I've still got quite a bit of life time to live yet (assuming any of us
>  survive the Y2K disaster :))
<<snip>>

Errr, Errrrrr, ERRRRRRRR!  SOAPBOX MODE(*ON)

You would think by now I would have resigned my feelings about this subject,
but it _STILL_ gets my hackles up!  I re-trained to work on the AS/400 because
the midrange that I was working on back in '88, QANTEL (which had quad 64-bit
processors and could run any software from any system the company made since
'69 without re-write) went belly-up due to assuming Mohawk Data Sciences' debt
after they were acquired by the latter.  On the QANTEL box, we had application
software capabilities in the early 80's that many of the AS/400 "majors" have
yet to implement -- despite how much easier it is to do with things like
logical files that we didn't have.  Should we release software in those days
that worked _HALF_ as badly as the _BEST_ of the AS/400 "majors", we would
have been CRUCIFIED by our customer base!

Sadly, like IBM's recent price increases, there seems to be a "we're just
doing what everyone else is" attitude among the vendors.  "Well, DEC and HP's
application software sucks, so why should ours be any better?"  "Well, DEC and
HP charge userous rates for _THEIR_ OS liscenses, why shouldn't _WE_?"  Awww,
BYTE ME!  To quote the sainted matrons of my familiy, "If everyone else jumped
off a cliff, would you do it as well?".  And _DON'T_ try and write it off to
stock market pressure to meet a quoted release date -- first, _DO NOT_ quote a
date unless you already have the software ready to release and second, the
software bit the big one in the days when the stock market demands weren't
there (Can you say "MAPICS"?  I knew you could!).

Where is the commitment to customer service and excellence at the expense of
profit?  Where is the attention to customer needs, rather than customer FEES?
Why are there so many packages out there (on _ALL_ platforms) that require a
technical staff to adequately support?  Why do accounts using packaged
software require a Senior Software Engineer on staff to prove to that
package's "help" line that it's _NOT_ the account's fault that _THEIR_
software isn't working?  Why is "home grown" software now a "bad thing"?
Where is the software equivalent of "two chickens in every pot" or "a good 5
cent cigar"?

Infinium (formerly SW2K) is the only package that I've dealt with that tried
for excellence, although the last time I worked with their products (SW2K)
they were performance hogs -- _BUT_ they worked well and were easily
interfaced to, upgrades were easy, and help was both prompt and attentive.
I've heard the same of Lawson, but have never used their products.  Anybody
else have a nominee for /400 software excellence?

SOAPBOX MODE(*OFF)

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Jimi Hendrix was the first rocker on the Internet - his modem was a purple
Hayes." -- Anonymous