  • Subject: Re: Two AS/400's must share the same data --> How can I do this?
  • From: "Synapse Communications, Inc." <office@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:44:11 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <office@mail.synapse.com>

BKstaple@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings and Salutations;
>
> I have two AS/400's that are connected via Frame Relay and need to share the
> same data as close to real time as I can get it.
>
> How Can I do this other than using DDM Files?

Were I use to work We had 3 system tied together using token-ring,
doing updates to the other two.  One would post inventory that was
received to master AS/400 another would post sales.  We found that
the amount of traffic was enough to warrant a second token-ring in
each system so that the updating was all done on a dedicated ring.
The amount of overhead  we found from performance monitors on each
was about 5-10% of the CPU. (F45, F45, B70)

What we had was a APPC program that would read records from a log
file to be sent, and send them to another APPC program on the other
boxes that would write them into log file and a batch program on each
would read the incoming log file and do the updates.  With special
records that could shut the process down by forcing the transmit
programs to terminate in a normal manner.  Seems like a lot, but if you
want the ability to run one of the systems while the other is down
(for whatever reason).

This approach was faster for us than using DDM, but it's a
pay-me-now or pay-me-later proposition, either we built a complicated
application to do updates quick, or simple application with DDM and
more system overhead.  Although things might have changed over the
last few years with DDM.

Hope this helps!  You can E-mail direct if you want to know more, or
have questions.

-- Jim Lowary

  ||  /|
  | |/ |