John,

Sorry to offend you.  In this world there are lots of solutions to problems
and this list is one place where information can be shared openly.  I have
never seen anyone become offended by the many posts related to problems
solved or caused by CA/400.  CA/400 is promoted/defended just as or more
strongly than alternate products like Synapse.  Everyone has their
favorite.  I get that this list is a place to share that info so people can
make their own choices.  Let the delete key be the decisionmaker.

What is so special about CA/400 that you leave it unscathed and unflamed?
I see lots of pro/con posts on that product.  For some it's a salvation and
for others the bane of their connectivity existance.  But then again, I
hear lots of gripes sitting here on the tech support hotline.  Hey, I'm
curious.  Is it ok to post about CA/400 because it's IBM but not
appropriate to champion alternatives like Synapse that (IMHO) do it better,
faster, and cheaper?  Is this a version of The Truman Show here?  If so,
I'm heading for the dock pronto.

On soapbox.

In the real world, IBM has left themselves open here big time.  CA/400 DOES
have serious problems.  Why did IBM change the name of PC/Support to
CA/400?  Is is because the overwhelming baggage of PCS was too much to
overcome?  Hey, change the name.  Sorry about the sarcasm.  It's not just
me.  I read about it all the time in News/400, Client Access Expert, Roger
Pence's Microsoft and the AS/400, Craig Pelkie's Client Access and Windows
Solutions, Midrange Computing, etc.  Look at all the CA support groups that
have sprung up all over the country.  The 400 Group has a nationwide series
of seminars devoted just to CA/400.  There's lots to have to figure out.
You need classes and experts to get it.  And get it we must because it
exists.  David's guidelines dictate that when it relates to a solution then
it is appropriate to say what you use, support, recommend, sell, etc.  I am
and have always been open about my favorite.

In this particular case the question was what do you need to go TCP/IP via
Ethernet to the AS/400.  It gets a little dicey to use CA/400 here because
IBM requires customers to purchase one 16bit CA/400 product for Win 3.11
and a different CA/400 product for Win95/NT.  They do not support any
product for Win98.  The 16bit software is not upgradeable to a 32bit
version.  They are two completely separate products with completely
separate user interfaces so when (not if) a user switches to Win95/98/NT
they will have to pay up and then relearn their emulation program.  I think
it's significant that with Synapse (others?) you get both 16bit and 32bit
products for one price and that the user interface stays the same.  That
saves users lots of money in both product and training.  How can people
find out about that if not on midrange-l?  This is THE midrange information
forum.

It's interesting being in a business where I work in an arena where I
support products NOT made by IBM but that run on IBM platforms in
competition with IBM.  It's so easy to sit back and have customers check a
box and buy CA/400.  IBM resellers love that but they don't sit on the tech
support lines and take the flak.

Wouldn't it be something if the Justice Department would require
competitive products like Synapse to be delivered on the IBM PC
installation CDRom so users would really have a choice?  That would be the
day.

Off soapbox.

Jerry
At 07:45 AM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jerry,

>Don't we think your pushing the "company line" just a little bit strong
>lately.   All your WinAPPC pitches seem like Banner Ads now.

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com