  • Subject: Re: Sv: Setting the date ahead for Y2K testing
  • From: "O'Connor, Peter H." <PHOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:47:20 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:MIDRANGE-L@MIDRANGE.COM
Gary writes:

>Peter --

Can you share with us what problems you found in your "real real" test
that you think would not have been uncovered under simulation mode??<

Gary:
Many companies use system values, dates, OS/400 related functions when
automating their system.

1.  Automation in prestart jobs
2.  Automation in NEPS (never ending programs)
3.  Automation of Purging files or parts of files based on a date
4.  Move of data to a history file automatically based on a date.
5.  Automation of premiums on policies based on date.
6.  Basically, what I am saying is many companies have programs that just
sit an wait       for date of time.
7.  Month end processing and aging of data.
8.  Year-end-processing on 2000 to 2001.  Most people have looked at 1999
but NOT 2000 to 2001.
9.  Mulitple programs functioning automatically with each other.
Dependanties of programs based on dates.

Most simulation cannot handle these kinds of process in the same manner

Peter H. O'Connor
PAE Inc.
7 Riverway Rd.
Salem, MA 01970-5343
978-744-8612(T)
978-745-7945(F)
PHOC@compuserve.com
>O'Connor, Peter H. wrote:
 I agree that simulation will help in testing application.  I agree that a
> 2nd system is the ideal.  However, I real real test has to take place.
We