At 07:10 PM 5/28/98 EDT, you wrote:

They only want RPG and CL, and
many would prefer that those flavors be RPG II and OCL.  The AS/400
professionals in question couldn't find this list with 10 search engines and
both hands -- in fact, they probably don't have an Internet connection.

I, for one, resent the tone of the above statement.  I clearly fall in the
old fogey, 36E
individual who is approaching the end of his career.  U cannot judge what
career
choices were made, big shop or small,  unless you were in the shoes at that
time.
We helped build this industry, nursed it thru late nights, sorting thru
cards to find the
program bugs.  We were, and are professionals, and as we age, we realize we
can't
know it all.  I have found few programmers who knew a debit from a credit,
fewer still
that were adept at personnel matters.

My advice to the youngsters is simple.   Put 10 percent of each paycheck
away, and
wear a cloak of humility.   I'm sure on that on your deathbed, you wont be
bragging about
programming skills, or much else.

Regards,

Bob Montague