  • Subject: Re: RPG TALENT--Global issue
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 19:10:26 EDT

Booth,

> >When AS/400 professionals can't evolve with the system, it doesn't
>  >surprise me that the industry perception stays the same.
>
>  Huh?  What AS/400 professionals would those be, Chris?

Booth, that would be most of them.  I am surprised that Chris is taking this
stance when he won't recognize that management is idiotic as well, but we've
had that argument before -- he's obviously been blessed with good management.
Most AS/400 folks are stuck in the "old days".  They only want RPG and CL, and
many would prefer that those flavors be RPG II and OCL.  The AS/400
professionals in question couldn't find this list with 10 search engines and
both hands -- in fact, they probably don't have an Internet connection.  Most
on this list aren't included in that "AS/400 Professionals" list, but some
are.  We're "preaching to the converted" here.

Just a few years ago, one of my clients had a package from another company
that ran in tandem with the package that my employer at the time sold.  When
the client moved to an AS/400, the latter company sent a representative to do
the upgrade who stated, and I quote, "I don't like all this AS/400 stuff.
Compiling files is stupid, and I hope to retire soon.".  To this _day_, the
client still has the S/36E installed on their 6xx box just to run that other
package.  Personally, I jumped on the "C" bandwagon too quickly and still
resent IBM's foray into that realm.  However, the current JAVA direction is
more strongly supported by IBM management and I'm headed that way -- if IBM
screws this one up as well, they may _NEVER_ find a viable market for the
AS/400 product...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"There is no greater loan than a sympathetic ear." -- Frank Tyger