  • Subject: Re: ... bad to better to worse
  • From: Tim-Bar <timbar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:45:54 -0700

On the AS/400, I've used the format selector program, created separate
physical files for the files that had multiple record types, and created
multiformat logicals for those physicals. Using legacy code, it works
great! The problem is that some of the sites will still be on a SYS/36
and need to access files on the AS/400. The SYS/36 doesn't know what to
do with a multiformat logical file on the AS/400! The AS/400 also needs
to access files on the SYS/36s. The multiformat logical was a perfect
solution for using as much legacy code as possible. It was moving them
toward separate externally-defined physical files instead of one
program-defined file with multiple record types. The plan is that
eventually all the sites will have their own AS/400 and then all the
remaining code will be rewritten. In the meantime...

Darlene Brengle
Norsoft, Inc.