Kevin,

Although there are several IBM drives that could be recommended, I'll
make a couple of assumptions here:
a) You're reasonable happy with 8mm, just need more speed/capacity
b) You may have a few archive tapes you may need to restore in future
c) You don't want to spend more money than necessary

Assuming that, I'd suggest you check out the new IBM 7208-342 8mm drive.
It uses ME (Metal Evaporated) tapes to write 20GB per tape (40GB with
compression), but can still read your old 2.3GB/5GB/7GB tapes (it can
not write them though).
Speed is rated at 3MB/sec (6MB/sec with compression).  This is 6 times
faster than your 7208-012).
And it's far cheaper than a 3590, and significantly cheaper than a 3570.

What's the catch ?  Well just one really, it requires V4R1M0 or higher
to run.

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com