  • Subject: Re: Work/skill testing
  • From: HAVEAJOB <HAVEAJOB@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:53:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/98 6:36:40 PM Central Daylight Time, david@midrange.com
writes:

<< At 11:47 AM 5/5/98 , HAVEAJOB wrote:
 >1) What formats would be of preference yet sufficient to be in-depth?  Ie,
 >multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, etc.?

 Multiple guess and short code fragment would be my preference.

 >2) Should this be targeted by language/version (RPG3 vs RPG4 vs RPG-ILE,
 etc),
 >general system questions, or a mix of both?

 I would suggest RPG/400 (non-ILE)... not all AS/400 programmers know ILE yet.

 >3) To what extent should general computing be considered?  Obviously, PC's
 and
 >connectivity issues are too much of an aset in an employee to ignore.

 Depends on the JOB.

 >4) What other factors should I consider in regards to testing parameters
that
 >would meet MIS managment needs?

 Not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?

 >5) Would a test be more successful taken in person under pressure, or
 would an
 >interactive format over the internet be feasible?  The test could be
 >restricted, timed, and assigned by client company code, or even paid for by
 >the testee.  Thoughts?

 Pen & Paper are more familiar to most folks ('cept, of course, us... who
 probably don't own pens anymore)... I would recommend a written format with
 plenty of warning.

 >6) If and when I get this completed over the next few weeks, would anybody
 out
 >there be willing to take a look and provide me with specific feedback?

 Could be :)

 david

David, thanks for the specific replies.  In regards to the testing parameters
question, perhaps I can phrase the question better to capture the essence of
what I had in mind....If you were a manager testing a potential hire, what
things would be important to you?  IE: general skills versus in-depth
knowledge in a certain area...the creative ability to work on new development
versus the skill to decode previous programmer's work and do maintenance...how
well a programmer could take user requirements and translate them into hard
code...things like that and how they could possibly be tested for.

Let's face it  - some managers need an RPG gnome that they can lock in a
closet and gring out code. Others need someone to manage a project.  Most
openings involve something in-between.  How does other companies out there
screen for intangibles as well as hard skills?  General comments and thoughts
would be appreciated.

Late Tue night, I set up an alternate email address at rpgtest@aol.com.  I
will be out of action for a few days and I know my normal email will be
overflowing anyway; I would appreciate that responses be cc'd to that email
address.  I have no intentions of trying to tackle this as a commercial
project (I just have too much to do right now!) but would like to provide
additional tools for my client companies.  If anyone has any suggestions,
criticism, etc. or is even willing to throw in a sample question or two, I'll
keep a list and make sure that a copy of whatever evolves will flow back for
feedback and general consensus.    Every few days I'll compile what I have,
notify the list, and send out individually to contributors.

If enough interest is there, heck, maybe I can make it interesting for those
willing to significantly participate ...

Thanks for all the help and support on this project - I really appreciate the
feedback I have received lately, both good and bad.  I depend on you guys to
learn, and even negative feedback is valuable to me.

Dave Brown
haveajob@aol.com, rpgtest@aol.com