  • Subject: RE: EMC DASD (wasCISC to RISC conversion of data)
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:58:29 -0500

I was called one evening by an IBM rep looking for assistance for a
customer who was down (around Xmas and IBM was short of resources).
Customer had a F60 with some EMC DASD.  One had failed.  After about 6
hours and several phone calls a service rep had finally shown up with 3
spare disks.  None of them worked, so he said they didn't have any more
in stock (this was Toronto - the biggest city in Canada, and they didn't
have any more disk in stock ??), and said he would try to get another
within a couple of days, AND LEFT THE CUSTOMER WITH A NON-USABLE SYSTEM
!!

(I went in, removed the offending disk unit from the ASP - after doing a
re-IPL to DST again as he had left the system with the rest of the EMC
array not reporting in - and started them on a reload which was
completed by 9am the next morning).

So, IMHO, the reason 3rd party disk is cheaper, is because IT'S NO
BLOODY GOOD !!!!
(And - also IMHO - neither is their support).

You're taping the birth/first steps/first baseball game of your only
child with your Camcorder.
Do you buy Acme or Brand-X tape from some flea market stand because it's
a couple of dollars cheaper than a top quality name brand professional
grade tape ?

NO !

You don't risk something like that by using a cheap magnetic tape, just
like you don't risk your company's business by trying to save a few
bucks on magnetic disk.

OK - I'm done ranting now - say goodnight Gracie !

:-)

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com