>I successfully compiled a pgm and noticed this message at the bottom of the
>printout:
>PRM HAS BEEN CALLED.
>PROGRAM CDR503 IS PLACED IN LIBRARY HSGLIB.  00 HIGHEST SEVERITY.
>CREATED ON 03/14/98 AT 11:16:09.
>****** E N D   O F  C O M P I L A T I O N  ******
>* QRG1020    ERROR WRITING TO DATA AREA RETURN CODE.
>                    COMPILE STATUS NOT RECORDED.
>What caused this?  What does this mean?

Check out section 3.1 of the RPG/400 User's Guide (Document Number:
SC09-1816-00)

3.1 Create RPG400 Program (CRTRPGPGM) Command

   To compile an RPG/400 source program into a program object, you must enter
   the CL command CRTRPGPGM (Create RPG/400 Program) to call the RPG/400
   compiler.  RPG/400 program objects are created with the public authority
   of *LIBCRTAUT.  You may want to change this authority to maintain greater
   security on your system.

   If the RPG/400 compiler stops because of errors, the escape message
   QRG9001 is issued.  A CL program can monitor for this exception by using
   the CL command MONMSG (Monitor Message).  See Chapter 4, "Error Messages,
   Testing, and Debugging."

   The compiler creates and updates a data area with the status of the last
   compilation.  This data area is named RETURNCODE, is 400 characters long,
   and is placed into library QTEMP.  You can access the RETURNCODE data area
   by specifying RETURNCODE in factor 2 of an *NAMVAR DEFN statement.  The
   data area RETURNCODE has the following format:

david