  • Subject: RE: Numerics PACKED, ODD format -- Always recommended?
  • From: Bob Crothers <bcrothers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 07:13:28 -0000

Karen,

Yes, it is best (from a performance point of view) to use odd
length packed numeric data in your files.

However, I don't think I would go back and change stuff just for
those performance reasons.  I've always believed in "If it Ain't
broke, don't  fix it".

Yes you are sacrificing a few CPU cycles because of your zoned
data. But if you are having performance problems, there are
other areas that would probably be much better to focus on.

And a conversion like you are talking about sounds very
dangerous.  For very little gain.

BTW, I would start using the Packed number for all new fields
and files.  I would just leave your existing stuff alone.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Regards,
Bob Crothers
Cornerstone Communications