  • Subject: RE: Cost of 4.2
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:54:20 -0700

The fact there was a charge to go from V4R1 to V4R2 in the first place
surprised me, (and I'm sure many others)  until I realized it was the
result of IBM no longer updating all program products with new versions
at every release of OS/400.  So when V4R1 was released many products
(Application Development Tools, I believe all the Language Compilers,
Advanced Function Printing, Business Graphics Utilities, Performance
Tools and others) remained at V3R7 and you didn't pay an upgrade charge.
Now with V4R2 these products are getting new releases, and you are now
being hit with the V3 to V4 upgrade charges for them.  And yes, they do
appear to be fairly steep.

Now the good news.  Once you have upgraded there products to V4Rx there
should be NO further charge for V4R3, V4R4 , or V4R_.  Of course, when
it's time for more revenue you just call the next release V5R1.  :-)

I believe what most shops need to do (or will have to do?) is get on the
new monthly fee program that entitles them to all future upgrades.  That
way you can budget a fixed amount per month for future software upgrades
and get no more lump sum nasty surprises.

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\