  • Subject: Re: "Webulating" RPG/ programmer tools
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 02:58:17 -0800

Chris Rehm wrote:

> ** Reply to note from "Kathleen Kostuck" <kkostuck@execpc.com> Tue, 3 Mar
>1998 15:29:29 -0600
>
> > I appreciate the advice on how to leverage the laptop with PCMCIA cards and
> > a copy of Code/400.  I am seriously thinking about it, because of this
> > thread.  But I am also wondering if supplying our own tools is going to be
> > a trend in the future, and do we want it to be?
> >

> <<snip>>
>
> Also, there is also the opportunity to price a fixed bid based on the time
> it would take without the tools, and split the difference with the client.
> This would give the client a price break and you a rate increase. Unless,
> of course, you have trouble filling the hours saved.

Kathleen, Chris,

Wow, how long has it been for points of agreement on this topic?

There hasn't been a whole lot of "I'll second that", but Chris does make a
valid point from a
consultant point of view.

Contractors by definition climb on board and make magic happen with whatever is
around.  They
don't provide advice, they provide man-hours.  Consultants bring in their own
tool box and
provide solutions. This is where we separate the hot dogs from the weenies.

This is also where we separate the $45/hour contractor from the $85/hour
consultant.....the
difference is to finance tools/education.

The 80/20 rule on that would be education/tools.  Turn down some business, let
them find out how
much an "inexpensive" person can cost them.  Get a reputation for being on
time/under
budget/beyond specs...how? Have some tool assist you to beat out the
competition.

Freelancers live or die on their reputation to deliver.

Now I will admit I have echoed the statements I've heard by in-house managers
against acquiring
tools, but who cares, I have a life and they don't own it. Even as a staffer,
my personal
recommendation would be to acquire a (any) tool, deliver better then the herd,
and take your
stinking tool with you. You own it, you got the tax write off and don't be so
cheap! :)  You
didn't whine about having to pay for your own education did you? So why whine
about post
graduation cost of advancing your career?  After all it is YOUR career.

Do you require your boss to purchase your subscription to trade journals?
Internet access to this
list? Spending money at COMMON?

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant, but I just looked at the calendar and
realized that on
Friday 13th is my mother-in-laws birthday. Scary.