  • Subject: RE: V4r2 CA/400 Network Neighborhood Enhancement
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:10:54 -0600

I saw it working on a V4R2 system at an IBM e-business seminar given by
John Sears & others yesterday in Toronto.
The feature is called AS/400 NetServer and I BELIEVE you do need to do
something to enable it, even though it is part of base OS/400 at V4R2.

The initial return on clicking on your AS/400 in Network Neighborhood
was MUCH faster than with the CA/400 connection, although the difference
was less noticeable once the AS/400 has served up it''s list of
directories.
One reason that NetServer can be much faster is that you can define what
directories the user is able to see via Network Neighborhood and what
access level they have, as opposed to the CA/400 one serving up the
whole machine (except QSYS.LIB if you restricted access via the
QPWFSERVER authorization list).

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\