I think what is probably happening here is that the IP address your ISP
is giving you is not a real Internet address, but one of their "made-up"
addresses which resides behind their router. This way an ISP does not
need to have access to thousands of IP addresses; they can have a few
addresses and you get assigned a "made-up" address.

>From what I understand, this is the rule rather than the exception with
ISPs. Once you get your own router, then the ISP would assign you an
address that would be a real Internet address, not a "made-up" IP.

You may want to call your ISP's tech support and see if they can tell
you if this is the case. You will probably get someone whose answer will
be, "Huh? What do you mean? Are you using Netscape?" Be persistent and
ask for someone else and you will probably get your answer.

Good luck!

David Boring
Systems Engineer
MCI Systemhouse