  • Subject: RE: Printing to an ASCII printer, HP 2235
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:56:55 -0500

Marc Zylka wrote:

I've been trying to print to an HP 2235 (an old printer) but I haven't had
much luck. I can send it a text string and it'll print but I've also been
trying to send Escape sequence to change the printer settings.
This hasn't worked, yet.  Here is the current setup:
* printer is hooked up to the serial port of an HP Jetdirect
* I've created an output on the AS/400 to be used over TCP/IP.  I forget what I
used as a manufacturer's model, I think HP500.
* I've created a printer file defined as *USERASCII
* My program does the following:
* for each escape sequence, I've output X'1B' + the codes on 1 or more lines.
* Printer only prints one line with mostly @ signs.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I need to do?
As I mentioned earlier, I can print straight text with Escape codes.
TIA,
Marc Zylka (mzylka@netpath.net)

Dear Marc,

The AS/400 supports a feature called ASCII transparency. It is the foundation
which the Host Print Transform facility was built upon. The SCS code 03
followed by a count byte invokes the feature.

As an example, if you wanted to send the HP PCL laser printer language command
for portrait orientation, you could code the values 03 05 1B 26 6C 30 4F into
your application. The values must be coded using the hex insert capability (ie
display session operating in hex mode, not in text mode) of AS/400 programming
languages like RPG. The command prefix 03 05 tells the AS/400 operating system
that the following 5 bytes are ASCII binary data which is not viewable on a
5250 terminal. When you return to text mode, you will not be able to view the 5
bytes of data that you just entered on your screen as characters.

The ASCII Transparency feature will allow you to pass the control codes in your
program to the TCP/IP attached printer.

Also, you might need to change the printer file back to *SCS from *USERASCII.
The AS/400 has the intelligence to know that TCP/IP attached printers using
LPD/LPR need EBCDIC to ASCII conversion of data being sent to them. The Host
Print Transform feature accommodates this requirement and the ASCII
Transparency feature works well in this condition. I'm not sure how OS/400
handles data transfer to TCP/IP printers when the print file is specified as
*USERASCII.

HTH,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606