It is possible to use a normal SMTP adress say username@system.compagny.com

but you need compagny.com as your local domain (cfgtcp opt 12)
and system as your local host name.

also put this complete name in yout hosts table  (cfgtcp opt 10)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   system.compagny.com

you can connect 4 (four) names to 1 (one) internet adress.

use WRKNAMSMTP to connect a SMTP-name to your AS/400 userid.

so if your  your userid is EDUARD and your SMTP-name is
ehvandenbraken@system.compagny.com you have several options of adressing.

eduard?system@system.compagny.com
or
ehvandenbraken@system.compagny.com

After I changed the USRIDDELIM character in the SMTP attributes to a . (dot)
the first method  changed to

eduard@system.compagny.com

I hope this is enough info

Groetjes    (Greetings)