Art,

Your code should be working fine.  I used this successfully (which
should look amazingly close to yours) when viewing rcvvar under debug:

     dopen             pr            10i 0 extproc('open')
     d                                 *   value
     d                               10i 0 value
     d                               10u 0 value options(*nopass)
     d                               10u 0 value options(*nopass)
     dread             pr            10i 0 extproc('read')
     d                               10i 0 value
     d                                 *   value
     d                               10u 0 value
     dfilename         s              9    inz('/text.fil')
     dnull             s              1    inz(x'00')
     do_rdonly         s             10i 0 inz(1)
     do_textdata       s             10i 0 inz(16777216)
     doflag            s             10u 0
     drcvvar           s            256
     drcvvarsiz        s             10u 0 inz(256)
     dfp               s             10i 0
     dbr               s             10i 0
     c                   eval      filename=%trim(filename) + null
     c                   eval      oflag=o_rdonly + o_textdata
     c                   eval      fp=open(%addr(filename): oflag)
     c                   eval      br=read(fp: %addr(rcvvar): rcvvarsiz)
     c                   eval      *inlr='1'
     c                   return

Question: when you do a display of the file attibutes (option 8 of
wrklnk), what is shown for code page?  On my system, the file was 850
(PC Data Latin 1) and was correctly converted to my job CCSID when read.

Bruce Vining