  • Subject: RE: Data Transmission from an AS/400
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 11:50:10 -0500

John Hall wrote:

I have to transmit a data file to a bank
I have two options 1 - PC via Xmodem or 2 - Direct from the 400
I prefer to send the file direct from the 400 rather than download it to
a PC and send it from the PC.

The Transmission specs are :
Richardson SUPERTRACS
Mainframe : Speed : 2400 Baud / 4800 Baud / 9600 Baud
Format: EBCDIC
Protocol: IBM 2780/3780
PC : ASCII / XModem CRC
What do I need to do this from my 400.  I already have the com lines and
several modems so I am ok on the hardware end.
This is to be a daily transmission & we will need logging to confirm the
transmission of the file and notification if the transmission fails.

John L. Hall
Home Sales Company

Dear John,

I tried to post some information to the list yesterday and pressed the wrong
key during send so that your original post went without my appended comments
(sorry).

The information from the bank about the protocol (2780/3780) means that they
are expecting an RJE (remote job entry) transmission. This protocol was
originally developed to allow punch card reading machines to be used for
mainframe data input. When the protocol is used for file transfer, the
terminology describing the transfer is "punch". The data communication WAN
protocol required to support RJE submission to a bank is BISYNC (bisynchronous
communication).

You will need to consult the AS/400 Communications Reference publication to
find the example for building a line description that supports BISYNC
communication. Once you have built this description and linked it to one of
your already existing modems, you should be able to connect to the bank without
any trouble by activating the line on the AS/400.

I don't have experience with the logging functionality within the OS/400 for
file transmissions via BISYNC lines so maybe someone else on the list can help
explain how to activate the appropriate feature.

HTH

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606