  • Subject: Re: tcp/ip terminal emulator program
  • From: jdraper@xxxxxxx (Jerry Draper)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:59:08 -0800 (PST)

>i've configured dial-p slip to as/400 (previously configured all the
>TCP/OP stuff) for entering to AS/400 from anywhere.
>
>i'm looking for select a terminal (TN5250?) program (i prefer don't
>install all the CAwin95 in laptops). (obviously all these tn5250 works
>also in an local network not only in remote.)
>
>i've downloaded and in testing
>- PowerTerm (149$)
>- Mocha (25$)
>
>Anybody knows other?
>please comments experiences.
>
>specially interest is
>- 5250 print (i.e. normal AS/400 spools)
>- File Transfer

TCP/IP is divided into functions much like the SNA "conversations" over APPC
that IBMer are familiar with on the AS400.  You get standalone products that
do individual functions which are:
    display (generically Telnet or TN5250 for us on the AS400),
    printer (the LPD - line printer daemon; LPR - Line printer requester is
the        companion part on the AS400), and
    file transfer (FTP - file transfer protocol).

The issue with telnet displays is keyboard mapping and AS400 related
displayable characters that are not normally in telnet programs.  For
example, the telnet client in Win95 don't do the above and so are
functionally worthless if you have work to do.

I sell and recommend the Synapse WinAPPC TN5250 client (www.synapse.com)
which lists for $149.  It has all of the relevant AS400 related elements
that make it a workhorse for AS400 users.  It comes in both 16bit and 32bit
clients with identical user interfaces (same code base).  The APPC version
is also the same so you could switch between the two protocols and users
wouldn't know the difference.  Why do they need to know anyway?

Bottomline is that Synapse works.

They offer free tech support and free updates.  This will be important to
all their TCP/IP users because a significant LPD printer client is due out
shortly that will handle native AS400 SCS print strings without requiring
the AS400 to chew up cycles doing host print transform.  The update will be
free to registered users through Synapse's free online update service.

They have site licenses available for larger sites.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com