At 11:10 PM 12/3/97 -0500, you wrote:

I have not read the article, but I have met with Julie Furey briefly since
Common.  She seems to be honest, sincere are restricted by the policies of
IBM's corporate world.  After my comments in San Antonio, she might have
been hostile to me, but this was not the case at all; she was open, and
listened to what I had to say.  I will read the article, and hopefully meet
with her again prior to Spring COMMON (which I hope she is able to attend).

My conclusions are not yet complete on the subject, but I hope to fully
form them prior to New Orleans.  If I owe Julie an apology, I will make it
publicly at COMMON at Soundoff.  If my feelings remain the same way they
were in September, she probably won't be so nice to me the next time she
seems me after that.  If in fact the problem is an IBM corporate problem, I
will state so at that time.  However, as Lou Gerstner could care less about
the AS/400 (I'm convinced that he's only concerned with IBM's stock
price.), I will have to make my comments in other public forums.  As I am
an AS/400 bigot (It is the best platform in the world.), Lou probably
would't like my today.  (BTW, he declined the invitation to the opening of
our new offices in August, even though we are only about 12 minutes from
his office in Armonk.)  (I've shaken his hand twice, and he probably
doesn't know me from Adam [although he did refuse to take a 400>390 button
I offered him some years ago].)

If I have to go public (i.e.: outside of the AS/400 - COMMON - Midrange-L
communities) to get our image problem fixed, I'm sure that he will like me
much less.

What Mr. Gerstner clearly doesn't understand is that there are two types of
computers in the world:  AS/400s and inferior computers.

I have copied this letter to Julie Furey (as the other notes have already
been forwarded via snail mail).  I have not copied it to Mr. Gerstner (but
probably one of his AA's will get a copy).  Any time anyone from Somers, or
Armonk, or even Mr, Gerstner would like to discuss the public image of the
AS/400, I here.

>RE:    In conclusion: IBM Spin Doctors on AS/400 Marketing
>
>Al said;
>>Hi,
>>This is really an open letter to IBM Rochester/Somers, with a   cc: to
>>midrange-l.  I have reversed the addresses for reasons that will become
>>obvious below.
>>
>>Well, it's been over two months since I made my comments at Soundoff about
>>the lack of AS/400 marketing communications and AS/400 Education.  (These
>>comments are available electronically, but I have NO intention of
>>broadcasting them publically.)  It's fair to say that some at IBM were
>>unhappy with my Soundoff comments, yet others were happy with my comments.
>
><BIG SNIP>
>
>Al & All
>
>Speaking about the Soundoff, and your's & Bob T.'s  comments..
>
>Has anyone read the interview with Julie Furey on www.news400.com ???
>
>I was wondering what other peoples opinions were of it in regards to
>the discussions about marketing??
>
>Does she have a handle on the "perceived" problem??
>
>One last thing,  Her last paragraph was Ironic to me.  It said;
>---
><"IBM by itself can't win this. We need the passion and conviction of our
>customers, like your readers, and partners working with us. It is a lot more
>powerful and newsworthy to have customers promoting AS/400. For
>example, we need your readers calling Information Week and writing
>Computerworld and saying, "You guys just don't get it. Let me tell you
>why the AS/400 is such a great platform. . . ."
>
>This enthusiasm and conviction harnessed into positive energy can do more
>to propel this product line forward than any advertising ever can. Together,
>we can ensure AS/400 has a successful future.">
>--
>
>Hmmm.
>Remember when I asked everyone to email Computerworld & Byte mag.'s a while
>back??
>
>I had a private back & forth email exchange with a Computerworld editor
>that was interesting.  (she agreed that their search engine only returned 1
> hit when searching for AS/400 or AS400)  annnnyway...
>
>Based on her complete interview,  she on track or missing the point??
>
>John Carr
>EdgeTech
>
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".