  • Subject: Re:RE: How to preserve password change date
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:15:40 -0500

>The best defence against a dictionary attack is to set the system value
>QPWDRQDDGT to 1, to prevent plain English words being used. Try to devise
>a scheme using a combination of the QPWD* system values to enforce robust
>passwords without alienating your users by making it next to impossible
>to generate a memorisable valid password..
>
>What are good, useful tips to give to users to help them with their choice
>in passwords? Perhaps we can compile a handy-dandy list to be passed out?
>My favorite tip is:
>
>- Use the first letter from each word in an easily memorized phrase.  For
>example: "I am John, aged 32" would become  "IaJa32"..

Sports teams and player jersey numbers:
rangers35

Sports player name/number
gretzky99

Family member who's born this month, and what day:
(great reminder!)
mother11
judyann28

You have a favourite comic strip?
When your password expires, cut it out that day and
use the first 6 letters in that day's caption, with the
day number.  You can post it in the open; who'd know?
They're all over your cube/office anyway...:
(The Far Side, 21 Nov "Oo! I'd get up on that big fuzzy one!")
ooidge21

That sort of thing.  Easy for you to remember, hard for an
outsider to figure out.

Buck Calabro
Commsoft