  • Subject: Re: Upgrading F10 with IPCS for NT & Notes Server
  • From: "Jeffrey M. Carey" <jeffreycarey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:16:21 -0600

Satria Suryahadi wrote:

> Dear AS/400 gurus,
>
> I plan to upgrade my F10 V2R3 within the next 6 month.
> Our main application is an MRP package and the machine configuration is 16MB
>RAM & 2GB DASD with 78% utilization. I have around 30 users with 21 IBM 3486 &
>3476 and 6 PC attached using eml 5250. I have no problem with response time
>and everybody seems happy with the machine reliability.
>
> Then comes new policy from headquarter that all units have to implement
> Lotus Notes, and the requirement from some departments that they need to
> have their 'own' LAN. they need GUI.
>
> Then what I want to know..;
>
> 1- Is it possible if I just upgrade to V3R2 and put FSIOPs for NT & Notes?

You can upgrade to V3R2 (note that you must read the planning info to
verify disk space - going from V2 - V3 will create much larger cross
reference files).  You can then install a IPCS (new name for FSIOP) with
Notes.  However the NT IPCS requires V4R2 and won't be available until
February or so.  It will be RISC only, but I believe will run on first
generation RISC as well as "e" models.

> 2- If I jump to e-Series, how long will it survive until new box is coming?
There will probably be new boxes out sometime next year.  As always, the
longer you can wait, the more features will be available.  Also, the
price/performance curve for the 400 is projected to continue as it has,
so if you can wait, you'll get much more bang for your buck.

> IBM'er told me that IPCS for NT is not available until 1Q98, is it true?
Yes

> 3- US$ figure for e-Series model 600 with IPCSs for NT & Notes.
You can download a configurator from the AS/400 web page with a current
price file.  You might also want to consider a 150 or an S10 - both of
them have interactive CPW ratings that blow away the F10 (13.8 & 16.2
vs. the F10's 9.6).  However, you'd have to convert most of your users
to PC's or NC's.  If you interactive CPU usage is low enough, you can
get away with it, though.

I ran a 600 using the PC Configurator and got $21,306.00.  That was with
one Notes IPCS (not sure how many you can load on the 600). By all means
check it out yourself - you can even e-mail the config to IBM.

> 4- Web address with information concerning integration between AS/400 and NT
Not sure if anything is on the web yet - IBM has done pitches at a
number of conferences and seminars - contact your local IBM rep.

> 5- Web address with information concerning ODBC for DB2/400.
> 6- Web address concerning cabling installation with AS/400.
> 7- Say, I have 20 3486 in next building, so I install 20 UTP. My question, is
>it possible just to install only ONE cable between this building? If it is,
>How?

Note that UTP is not "officially" supported to connect Twinax devices.
Contact a maker of Twinax "star panels" to advise you.  I think you
could do at least one cable per WSC, which would mean at least 3 cables
(7 devices per WSC).  Attach seven uniquely addressed terminals to a
panel at the remote site and run one cablefrom the hub to the WSC.  You
might need a repeater or something, depending on the distance.  I'm sure
an appropriate vendor will chime in!