  • Subject: Re: Sizing for the new E-series.
  • From: "Jeffrey M. Carey" <jeffreycarey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:56:17 -0600

Definately run BEST/1 (part of Performance Tools - option 4 on the GO
PERFORM menu).  Make sure you have the latest PTFs, which have much of
the V4 hardware (but not all of the adapter cards, I've found).

Also, I'd consider carefully before committing to the 8GB drives -
especially for your load source.  I've heard access times can be bad,
because you're effectively reducing the number of disk arms and
increasing the aount of data each arm has to cover.  Depending on your
IO requirements, 8GB might be fine for most of your disks, but probablyt
stick to the default 4GB for load source.  Also, if doing RAID, load
source can now be part of a RAID set.

As far as SPD vs. PCI - it comes down to how much you've got invested in
SPD cards.  If you haven't got too many, go with PCI - it's the
direction of the future and considerably cheaper.