  • Subject: Re: Offload from the AS/400
  • From: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <atostain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 07:39:15 -0500

boothm@ibm.net wrote:

> Price it all out Art.  Get figures for the PC network and for a new
> e-series AS/400 (the new black box will smoke 'em, btw.  It is raw speed.)
> A new AS/400 on a 5 year lease will be affordable (especially if you
> factor in the  _full_  cost of that new PC software and the cabling and
> hardware upgrade costs) and will go in with no hitches.  It has a server
> in it, tcp/ip, and is 64-bit (ready for 128-bit, I am told).  The
> switch-over is a week-end, the footprint is minor, and there is  _no_
> employee training, none.

The reason for my initial post is because most all of your points have been
addressed.  Yet, they still ask us into a meeting to discuss this.

I will make sure that the hardware issues, especially cabling, have been
addressed.

There still has been no decision on anything.  This is normal for this
particular
client.

BTW, my 10 year old Sys/38 program that was 16? bits, became 32 on the 400, and
is now RISC-64, what are the advantages really to more bits, except that it runs
faster, and isn't that mostly because the processors are faster?

How can a CEO understand the benefits of 64 bit?  Because their kid's Nintendo
is
64 bits?  For that matter, how can I understand? :-)

--
Art Tostaine, Jr.
Creative Computer Associates, Inc.