  • Subject: RE: RPG II to RPG/400 conversion
  • From: Michel Sabourin <msabourin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:02:03 -0600

We are in the process of converting all our existing RPGII programs in RPG/400,
that is over 1000 programs.  Though most of the tools we use have been
developped in-house, we use the temporary member created by the CRTS36DSPF in
QS36DDSSRC to generate DDS DSPF for our interactive programs .  For converting
RPG O-specs to DDS printer files, you might want to have a look at the "
Convert O-specs to Printer File Utility " in Midrange Computing July 1996 issue.

In our case, we had to pay special attention to WORKSTN files declared as
primary files in the program cycle.  Further, when converting DSPF36 member to
DDS DSPF, you must check field names used in that DDS against I-specs and
O-Specs in the original RPGII to ensure they are correct.

In our report programs, we decided to keep the program cycle.  And since we
created DDS printer files out of O-specs, we had to generate equivalent WRITE
in the new RPG/400 program.

Hope this will be of any help.

Michel Sabourin
Cascades inc.