  • Subject: RE: Open List of Jobs (QGYOLJOB) API
  • From: bill gravelle <billgravelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 17:14:15 -0700

Walden,

Many years ago (back on the 19 year old System/38 in fact) I developed a
job queue management system that integrated with an existing environment of
packaged and in-house developed software.  Even though I've been gone from
the organization for many years now, the soft-coded solution is still
intact with few modifications over the years (even now under V3R7 on a
4-way RISC AS/400).

The key to this solution was not to discover jobs after submission, but to
intercept the SBMJOB command via a validity processing program with some
control files to manage the job queue redirection process based on some
very simplistic rules (most of which were based on the job name and
"environment" variables stuffed into the local data area by the interactive
job's initial programs).  This approach solved the management problem of
jobs that needed to be "streamed" or otherwise controlled by operations not
development.  I suspect that if your problem is based more on load
balancing than dependency control, then you could use a variation of this
process along with a routing control program in your subsystems that could
allocate "signaling" objects as needed to allow a never-ending manager or
parasitic command processing program to know where to redirect the job in
question.  It seems to me that if you know more about the jobs as they go
into the queues, then you should be able to manage them more effectively
without the overhead of constantly asking the system to tell you what jobs
are currently in the system and what their current status is at that
instant in time.

Hope this alternative solution gives you some ideas ... best of luck, *bg

At 08:58 AM 10/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking at running this command about every 30 seconds, so even the
>user space overhead is ugly. What I really want is a data queue parameter
>like the one on an outq. (I need to write my own job queuing system)
>
>-Walden

bill gravelle, comsign ltd
303.679.1973