  • Subject: Re: V3R0M5 to V3R2
  • From: Neil Palmer <NPalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:06:32 -0400

Steven Sharpe wrote:

> I have a customer who wants to upgrade the AS/400 from V3R0M5 to V3R2.
> Has anyone come up with a checklist or does IBM have checklist of what
> needs
> to be considered
> when doing this upgrade?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

        OS/400 - V3R2M0 Install Checklist

        NOTE: Trying to install V3 on a system with only 8MB of memory
is NOT a
                 good idea.  16MB should be considered a minimum.  For
C04 systems
                 that can only go up to 12MB the customer must at least
upgrade to
                 12MB, but should be warned they may need a model
upgrade.
                 A minimum DASD configuration of 1.2GB is also
recommended.

 1)     MANDATORY
        PRIOR to installing V3R2 you must make sure the following PTF's
are
        installed on your current release or the install will fail and
an SRC
        error code of B600 6167 will be displayed on the control panel:
                If you are on V3R1M0 - SF38709 & MF10577
                If you are on V3R0M5 - SF38710 & MF10576
                If you are on V2R3M0 - SF38708 & MF10575
        These PTF's can be downloaded via ECS modem.
        Read the cover letters of these PTF's for instructions.

        If you are at a release prior to V2R3M0, you can NOT upgrade
directly to
        V3R2M0 - you must first upgrade to at least V2R3M0.

        STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
 2)     Order PTF SF98320 via ECS modem and check the cover letter that
will be
        downloaded to member QSF97320 in file QAPZCOVER in library QGPL.
        Read the GENERAL INFORMATION section for tips & advice prior to
starting
        your upgrade to V3R2M0.

 3)     OPTIONAL
        Order & apply the latest PTF cum package for your present
release.

 4)     RECOMMENDED
        Permanently apply all PTF's for your current release if you have
time.
        If you don't have time to permanently apply all PTF's, at least
        permanently apply all Licensed Internal Code PTF's (5738999 for
V3,
        5728999 for V2).

        If you received your V3R2M0 order more than a month ago you
should
        reorder the latest PTF cum package a week before your planned
        update date, and use the new package instead of the PTF cum
package
        supplied with the V3R2M0 upgrade order.

 5)     RECOMMENDED
        If you use the QUSRTOOL library you may want to keep the
QUSRTOOL
        library from V3R1 or earlier, as many tools (eg. TAA) no longer
ship
        with V3R2.
        Save QUSRTOOL to tape and restore it under a different name
after the
        V3R2 upgrade is complete.  (If you just rename it the new
QUSRTOOL
        library for V3R2 will not be installed automatically with the
V3R2
        upgrade).

 6)     RECOMMENDED
        DSPSBSD QCTL, QINTER, QPGMR, QBATCH, QSPL, QSNADS.
        You may need to refer to these listings if you find some
functions not
        working after the V3R1M0 install.  For example, someone may have
        modified a subsystem to add an auto start job, or add another
job queue.
        Command defaults may have been changed, or default
authorizations.

        If you have made ALL your changes to IBM supplied default
        configurations in a CL program that you can CALL to reapply
changes
        after the release update you should not need to refer to these
listings,
        although it's always a good idea in case someone made changes
without
        altering the CL program.

 7)     MANDATORY
        Make sure system value QALWOBJRST is set to *ALL.  (This system
value
        did not exist until V3R1M0).  If it is not *ALL, make a note of
the
        current value and change it to *ALL before starting the upgrade.

 8)     MANDATORY
        Install V3R2M0 - follow instructions supplied with your software
order.

 9)     OPTIONAL
        If you want to load any of the new 'Clients' for Client
Access/400 (the
        replacement for PC Support/400) that are not currently installed
on your
        system - such as the Native 32 bit OS/2 Client, or the Windows
95 Client
        - you should do so now, as they will not be installed as part of
the
        automatic update.

10)     RECOMMENDED
        Order PTF SF98320 via ECS modem and check the cover letter that
will be
        downloaded to member QSF97320 in file QAPZCOVER in library QGPL.
        (If you downloaded this in step 2, and this was more than a week
ago,
        you should order it again to get the latest information).
        This will list any HIPER PTF's that you should download, and may
list
        defective PTF's on the cum package you are about to install.  If
        superseding PTF for a defective one is not available, you should
follow
        instructions in the cumulative PTF package cover letter for
omitting
        PTF's, and omit any defective ones.

11)     MANDATORY
        Apply the PTF cum tape supplied with the software order.  If you
have
        ordered a newer package use that instead.
        Do NOT under any circumstances release the system for production
use
        without applying a PTF cum tape package.
        Make SURE you follow the instructions supplied with the PTF cum
tape
        package carefully.

12)     MANDATORY
        Do WRKSYSVAL QDEVRCYACN.  If the value is set to *MSG change it
        *DSCMSG.  This is the new default value being shipped from
V3R2M0
        onwards, and can prevent 'run away' programs that can loop
forever and
        fill the job log if there is a device error in an interactive
job.

13)     MANDATORY
        Do WRKLICINF and verify the usage limit on all IBM licensed
programs to
        the correct purchased license limit, to avoid constant messages
to the
        QSYSOPR message queue.

14)     MANDATORY
        If you altered system value QALWOBJRST in step 7, set it back to
it's
        original value.

15)     MANDATORY (If using Client Access/400)
        Any passwords not changed since V2R2M0 should be altered (if you
want
        you can change them, then immediately change them back to their
previous
        value).  Client Access/400 (the replacement for PC Support/400)
no
        longer sends passwords in the clear, but can not encrypt them
unless the
        password was changed at V2R3M0 or later.

16)     RECOMMENDED
        If you have modified the system startup program (see system
value
        QSTRUPPGM - the IBM supplied default program is QSTRUP in QSYS)
then
        you should run RTVCLSRC to retrieve the IBM supplied V3R2M0
version of
        program QSTRUP from library QSYS, and compare it with your
custom
        version looking for changes you should incorporate into your
version.

17)     MANDATORY
        As soon as possible you must redo your complete system backup -
or at
        least your SAVSYS backup.  If you have time it's best to do a
SAVSYS
        immediately, then schedule a complete system backup as soon as
possible.

        NOTE: If you have written your own program to do a complete
system
        backup, you must make sure you add the SAV command to save the
        Integrated File System objects (new at V3R1M0).  These include
the
        directories used by the new Client Access for Windows 3.1
client, as it
        no longer uses shared folders (the CPY command will let you copy
        from/to your old shared folders and the new directories).

        The command to add to your backup program to save all Integrated
File
        System objects is:
                 SAV        DEV(tape_device_name) OBJ(('/*')
('/QSYS.LIB' *OMIT)
                                         ('/QDLS' *OMIT)) ENDOPT(*LEAVE
or *REWIND)

18)     OPTIONAL
        If you intend to upgrade Client Access/400 PC's from Basic DOS
or DOS
        Extended to Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 you should consider
reinstalling
        from scratch instead of running the migration procedure.  It's
less
        prone to problems and will probably save time unless you have
many PC's
        to update.

Document:      INSTALL.V32/TXTPROD/TECHSPEC
Last revised:  February 28, 1997

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology -Canada       ____________          ___  ~