Tony,

At 09:18 PM 10/14/97 PDT, you wrote:

>This has probably been covered bfore, but I probably wasn't paying
>attention.
>
>What I want to be able to do is:
>
>User signs on
>Initial program drops them straight into an FTP session
>Initial program performs GET on file (name of which is based on user ID)
>to users local C: drive
>User then exits, having no chance to get to command line, FTP command
>line or menu.
>
>I'm sure this can be done, but don't really have an idea of where to
>start.

Booth's reply raises some questions:

1. Are you tranferring the file PC-->400 or 400-->PC?

   In either case, you can do this all from the PC, I think, with redirected
   input to the FTP command. The concept is similar on both platforms—use
   redirection, which on the 400 is known as OVRDBF.

2. Is there an FTP server on the PC? You need one if you are starting
   FTP from the 400.

3. Are you using the 400 signon for security reasons, passwords
   passed in the clear, etc.?

The chapters on FTP in the TCP/IP Configuration and Reference have some
examples of processing FTP in batch, which apply equally well here to what
seems to be like an unattended execution of FTP.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480