Sean

At 03:26 PM 10/6/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I have successfully installed my POP3 server on my AS400, and it works
>great for sending email inside the company, but now I want to be able to
>send email out to the Internet. I have a Farallon Netopia ISDN router in
>place right now, and I can communicate to the Internet no problem, but what
>do I need to do to get the AS400 POP server to route the Internet mail to
>my ISP?.
>
>Here is a list of things I have done so far:
>
>- Setup the remote name server, to that of my ISP's DNS server. I can now
>ping using the www.domain.com names.
>
>- I have added a TCP/IP route to the Farallon router.
>

>Is there something in the AS400 for SMTP routing? I have looked in the
>redbooks, and have yet to find a good answer.

Seems to me you're already there. The POP3 server doesn't send mail, it only stores it. Email sent from a PC with, say, Eudora or Pegasus or whatever doesn't even touch the AS/400 POP3 server—it should just go straight out. Now, email from the AS/400 itself (are you using Office or JustMail?) needs some entries for SMTP, I think. This part is not really clear to me, yet. You might look into the TCP/IP Configuration and Reference.

OTOH, it's possible to embed destinations in the message. There're some particulars on this redirection facility in the TCP/IP Configuration and Reference.

AFAIK, you need to have a default route to anyt address set up on the AS/400—I won't swear to this, but it seemed to be the shortcut way that made our stuff work for the outside Internet.

Let us know what helps—I know I want to set up something similar at our sites.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480

+--- | This is the Midrange System Mailing List! | To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com". | To unsubscribe from this list send email to MAJORDOMO@midrange.com | and specify 'unsubscribe MIDRANGE-L' in the body of your message. | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com +---