  • Subject: Re: Remotely attached Tape Drive
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 22:25:53 -0700

Barry,

Years and Years ago, 1986 or so, we were able to accomplish this for a
client that insisted that their orders get into our system the same day they
cut the tape.  They were in L.A., we were in Seattle.

What we did was connect a 9 track tape drive (Looked just like the old 9347
pizza oven on the original B models), to a PC in L.A.  The PC was connected
to a 5294 controller using ETU (a PC Support pre-curser) and the 5294 was
connected over a 9.6kb line to the S/38 in Seattle.  Every morning the
courier would bring the tape to the L.A. office, and a clerk would load the
tape onto the PC disk drive, and then start a file transfer up to the S/38
over the 9.6 line.

A very hokey solution, but it filled the bill for us.  So at the barest
minimum, it can be done.  You have to decide if it's worth the trouble :)

hth,

jte

At 12:49 PM 10/3/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Is anyone aware of a tape drive that can be remotely attached to an AS/400.
> We have a need for users in a different building than the AS/400 to be
>able to use tape.  Token Ring attached would be nice.
>Barry L. Smith
>AS/400 Technical Services Manager/Financial Applications Manager
>Hershey Entertainment & Resort Co.
>300 Park Blvd.
>PO Box 860
>Hershey Pa 17033
>
>EMAIL    bsmith@800hershey.com
>WEBSITE  http://www.800hershey.com
>
>HERSHEY  The sweetest place on earth
>+---

* John Earl             Lighthouse Software Inc.*
* johnearl@lns400.com   8514 71st NW            *
* 206.858.7388          Gig Harbor, WA 98335    *

And now a little Spam Bait for the
automatic mail readers:

Chairman Reed Hundt:            rhundt@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello:      jquello@fcc.gov