I have observed one strange thing(??). I have written one RPG. The piece of
code is like this:

File1 is used in 'O' mode

FFILE1  O                              DISK
C              DO   5
C              MOVEL'ABCD'     FLD1  << Data base Field >>
C              WRITE FILREC
C              ENDDO
C              SETON        LR

Compiled RPG normally. (no Commit control). I stopped my program at the
last line. And found no records written in to file FILE1. (I used RUNQRY to

Then I changed  code a little bit.  I defined the file in I/A mode.

FFILE1  I                              DISK     A
C     1      IFEQ 2
C              READ FILE1      30   << Dummy read>>
C              ENDIF
C              DO   5
C              MOVEL'ABCD'     FLD1
C              WRITE FILREC
C              ENDDO
C              SETON        LR

I Stopped  my program at the last line, I found the file being populated.
Could any body please tell me what exactly is happening?

Thanx in advance.

| This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
| To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".
| To unsubscribe from this list send email to MAJORDOMO@midrange.com
|    and specify 'unsubscribe MIDRANGE-L' in the body of your message.
| Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].