  • Subject: AnyNet connect problems
  • From: peteh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Pete Hall)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:26:40 -0500

I'm having an awful time getting CA for Win95 V3R1M2 to connect to our
AS/400 at V3R1M0. The connection attempt just seems to time out most of
the time, but occasionally it succeeds. This indicates to me that the
configuration parameters are reasonably OK. I've moved the AS/400 memory
out of *BASE, changed the prestart jobs to run at priority 5, and still
nothing. If I run NETSTAT *CNN, I can see a connection as soon as I
click OK on the login dialog, but then things just go to sleep. Four out
of five times it eventually fails. There is never any significant
activity in any of the jobs in QSYSWRK or QSERVER. We use dynamically
assigned workstation addresses, so I thought that maybe the AS/400 was
spinning its wheels talking to the DNS, which is also the DHCP server,
so as an experiment, I disabled remote DNS lookup completely, used
NETSTAT on the PC to determine my IP address, added that to the AS/400
host table (two entries - one with and one withoug the goofy ibm.com
syntax), stopped and started TCP and host servers. It made absolutely no
difference. I still connect about one time out of five. I've also
noticed that if I set the router keep-alive timer to a reasonable value,
when I eventually do connect, the connection drops as soon as the timer
fires, issuing a message that there was no response to the keep-alive
message. I've gotten around this problem by setting the timer to 30 min
in the router config. The AS/400 setting doesn't seem to matter. I can
connect reliably with native TCP (which works great btw), but need
AnyNet because we need SNA file transfer and static device names (BPCS).
Does anybody have any pearls of wisdom?

Tia
Pete

--