  • Subject: Re: Enhanced Integration for Novell NetWare Configuration
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:27:17 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <crehm@pop03.ca.us.ibm.net>

On 18 Jul 97 at 18:19, hbmedp@po.jaring.my wrote:

> To configure Enhanced Integration to run over the IPCS, do I need
> any additional ipx description, line description and ipx circuit for
> the AS/400 local IPX support? The IPCS itself has an ipx
> description, line description and ipx circuit.

What local IPX support do you need for your 400? Is it interacting
with the Novell servers or routing for them? If you simply wish to
connect to the 400 over the same Enet wire, you should not need any
more description than was created when you installed the Netware
server.

> Currently, I have set it up in such a way that my AS/400 is
> connected to the LAN via an Ethernet card. The IPCS on the AS/400 is
> connected to the same LAN as well. I created a new ipx description,
> a line description for the Ethernet line and a new ipx circuit for
> setting up as/400 local IPX support. Now, I'm have the following
> problems:

I guess I am just confused as to why you are setting up the
additional IPX descriptions. The AS/400 can use the same port/address
as the Netware server. When you install additional IPX support, don't
you give it a new internal network number? As such, don't you have
two existing connections to your external network? I can see reasons
for this if you have existing traffic on the old Enet line and don't
want to drop the address and change out user configs, but I don't
know what IPX work you might be doing with the 400.

> 1.  The monitor job for the IPCS can't contact the Enhanced
> Integration for NetWare NLM even after the NLM was loaded manually
> at rconsole. The error message given was "The server could not be
> found".

It sounds like the 400 is looking on the wrong network. Although it
is on the same wire, the IPCS will ignore things not addressed to it.
Make sure the IPX descriptions match the Novell configuration file.
If the AS/400 thinks the server is at one internal/external address,
and the server is actually using another, they won't find each other.

> 2.  The AS/400 can't communicate with the Enhanced Integration for
> NetWare NLM on the IPCS as indicated by the absence of any active
> servers after I issued the command WRKIPXSTS followed by Display IPX
> Service Information.

I guess what I don't know is what IPX service you are trying to hit
here.

> Do you think this is the right approach? Ideas or suggestions,
> anyone?

I am unsure what you are trying to accomplish with the IPX services.

> Adelaine

By the way, I haven't been able to dig up anything on using SBACKUP
via the 400s tape drive. I can't find a book on it. Did you get any
further with that? All I see is how to back up the Network Storage
Spaces with standard backup. I would like to be able to use SBACKUP or
use the AS/400 tape drives via Novell, but ADSM is the only thing I
know of for that.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.