Rob Ward wrote:
> Does anyone have an RPG program that will convert
> an AS/400 external file to a comma delimited file they
> would care to share.

Nope, I don't have a homegrown RPG based solution to
your problem, but I would think a pretty simple generic
utility program could be built.  Use DSPFFD to an outfile
to get the appropriate field names, then build an SQL
INSERT statement into an RPG variable and "EXECUTE
IMMEDIATE" it.  I have a simple interactive SQL utility
(written because some of our sites haven't sprung for
IBM's SQL product) that gets the SQL statement from a
display - shouldn't be too hard to change it to use a
dynamically built INSERT statement.  EMail me directly if
you think this might help.

Another alternative we use here is a product from
Showcase Corp called Strategy.  It's a data access
product, which (essentially) gives one a nice GUI front end
to AS/400 SQL.  Said product pulls data from the
AS/400 and allows exporting data from AS/400 DDS
described files into several file formats, one of which is
CSV.

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in Showcase...I
don't own stock, I'm not releated to their CEO, I don't even
get a kick-back if someone decides to buy based on my
recommendation.  My only interest in Showcase Corp is
that they stay in business so's their tech-support line is
still available when I have problems!

Scott Cornell, Mercy Information Systems