At 07:40 AM 7/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Matthias Oertli wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of preparing for a RISC upgrade and would like to
>> ask some questions.
>>
>> I am doing Unload/reload (201) and at the same time I am replacing all
>> my DASD (quadruple the total capacity).
>>
>> The Roadmap includes a step for deleting all unobservable objects
>> before the final save and another step for deleting licensed programs
>> unsupported on the target release (370 in my case). I have 5763RG1
>> option 3 (RPG/400) which will be replaced with 'equivalent function'.
>>
>> However, my CE has recommended I don't delete any of the above because
>> I will have all new disks on the RISC box. He says that if for any
>> reason we have to revert back to the original system, I can just put
>> the old disks back in and be up and running as it was in no time.He
>> also recommended not to exclude anything on the final save tapes. I
>> must say, from a timing point of view excluding my unobservable objects
>> and RPG wouldn't really make a difference. Space on the target system
>> is not an issue either.
>>
>> Now, I'm a bit unsure, specially because I read Al Barsa's three golden
>> rules. Could anyone help me out here?
>>
>> My box is at v310 with Cum 7168 applied and the SETDSKCLN procedure
>> run.
>> I've been combing the various PSP documents for 'critical save/restore'
>> PTF's but haven't found anything. Would anyone know offhand if I've
>> overlooked such a PTF?
>>

>I just went through this upgrade last week-end.  Same as you I was on
>V3R1 with the same cum tape applied.  I had no problems with any save
>options.  Just make sure you follow the road map completely.  Get the
>upgrade assistant for your V3R1 system and also make sure you order
>the upgrade assistant for V3R7 cuz you will need it.  The ptf did not
>automatically come with the new box.  Make sure you do a reclaim
>storage on your old system before upgrade weekend also.  The only
>problem I had was that some of my logical files did not come over to
>the new box for some reason??  It went real well just takes a long
>time.

There are two conditions that the Upgrade Assistant doesn't handle, are
they are essentially not documented.

If you have a logical file in a library that is in alphabetical order
before it's physical file, it will not be restored.  Be advised, it is not
a good practice to have LFs in different libraries from their PFs.  If you
must (somethimes there are business reasons for this), then they should be
in alphabetical order (by libraary), after the library of the PF.

The circumvention for this condition is to do a RSTOBJ for each library
specifying OPTION(*NEW) after the failed RSTLIB exeutes, and all is fixed.

Journaling is a bigger problem.  The journal must be restored before the PF
that is journaled.  If it is not journaling is turned off.  Assuming that
you know the journaling environment, you can turn it back on.  If you, you
must delete the PF, delete the journal, restore the journal then restore
the PF.  This kind of sucks.

The bottom line with journals is that they must be in the first library
saved.  My journal library is $$$JOURNAL.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390