  • Subject: Re: V3R1 to V3R2 Upgrade
  • From: PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (PaulMmn)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 21:35:49 -0400

At 10:30 PM 7/1/97, Russ Khoury wrote:
>At 08:54 AM 7/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>You forgot some very important steps.  You must make sure that the LIC
>>extension PTFs are applied to V3R1 prior to the upgrade, and you also
>>need to install and then run SETDSKCLN.
>>--
>>Pete Massiello
>>OS Solutions International
>>Phone: (203)-744-7854  Ext 11.
>>http://www.os-solutions.com
>>mailto:pmassiello@os-solutions.com
>
>Pete:
>Pardon my ignorance (I do recall seeing msgs on the list regarding
>SETDSKCLN), but could you explain LIC extenstion PTF's and what does
>SETDSKCLN do?
>Thanks.

LIC = Licensed Internal Code
PTF = Program Temporary Fix (aka "Fix,"  "Patch,"  "Oops!")

SETDSKCLN is a PTF that fixes a potentially nasty bug on your system (I
think it requires you to reload everything if it hits).  SETDSKCLN must be
run before you migrate from version 3.1.0 to 3.2.0.  There are other PTFs
that prevent the bug in the first place...

PTFs are accumulated on Cumulative PTF Tapes ("CUME TAPES").  These are
released from time to time (about every 2 months).

LIC PTFs are for the microcode that drives the AS/400.  There are 2 copies
of microcode on every AS/400:  A and B.  You can only patch microcode if
you are not running on that copy; you must patch the "B" copy first.
Installing LIC (Microcode or "MFnnnnn") PTFs works as follows:

        -10. Apply any currently installed PTFs *PERManent.  This will:

                A. Duplicate any PTFs that are installed on the "B" copy
                        on the "A" copy.

                B. Delete the 'old' objects from the 'B' copy
                        that make a PTF uninstallable.

          0. Order the Cumulative PTF tape or CD-ROM (order PTF SF99vrm)

         10. Download PTF SF98vrm (vrm is Version Release Mod, ie 3.1.0)

         20. Download any additional PTFs recommended in SF98vrm

         30. Load and set these PTFs to automatically apply 'delayed.'

         40. Load all the PTFs from the Cume tape. (Follow the instructions
in the document that accompanies the tape or CD-ROM.).  The PTF process
loads the PTFs and sets them to apply automatically at the next unattended
(normal) IPL.

        *NOTE:  The current procedure allows you to load the PTFs any time you
                 want; you can load them during the week; they'll be installed
                the next time you IPL.  This is extremely useful for remote
                unattended systems (assuming you have a pair of hands that
                can load the Cume media for you).

         50. IPL the machine.  This kicks off the normal IPL process that
installs any PTFs set to automatically apply.  This does the following:

                A. IPLs using the 'A' copy of the LIC.

                B. Applies the PTFs to the 'B' copy of the LIC.

                        i. Moves old objects out of the 'live' spot.

                        ii. Moves new objects into the 'live' spot.

                C. IPLs again using the 'B' copy of the LIC.

Your system will now be running using the B copy and the latest PTFs.

The theory says that once you are comfortable running on the latest PTFs
you should apply them permanently (which will free up some disk space).
However, many folks (myself included) don't apply these PTFs permanently
until just before the next Cume tape is installed.  This lets you
'uninstall' a 'bad' PTF.

Now a question:  Why is it that a machine that runs just fine on a given
PTF tape for a couple of months will magically develop bugs that only
additional PTFs will fix?    Is there a piece of code that runs somewhere
that notes the date of the last Cume tape and automatically install bugs?
(:

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com