  • Subject: Re: V3R1 to V3R2 Upgrade
  • From: cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxx (Charlie Massoglia)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 08:06:04 -0400

Russ:

May I also suggest the following:

>Based on the great information and bright folks on the list, I've gathered
>the following list for a V3R1 to V3R2 upgrade (have one to do in 2 weeks).
>The credit for this goes to contributors to the list (Glen Kerner, others).
>2. Clean up the system such as unsed user profile, device descriptions,
>spool files, messages etc. Then, check storage before doing a RCLSTG (Don't
>do it if have less than 5% free). Do the reclaim storage (RCLSTG) and IPL.
>Do at least 1 FULL SYSTEM BACKUP. Some like using the save storage for
>upgrades. Drawback is You must restore the WHOLE TAPE, Upside is it restores
>2 to 3 times faster than a SAVSYS esp if you don't save accpaths.

We always do 2 backups.  You are going to be real unhappy if you do have to
restore the system and you have a tape media error.  We do a FULL SYSTEM
BACKUP followed by a SAVSTG.

>3. Install the V3R1 PTF's and apply permenantly.

Order the PSP for V3R1 (SF98310) BEFORE permenantly applying PTFs to
determine if there are any defective PTFs which should be unapplied.

>9. If successful, apply accompanying PTF's. Insert the PTF tape, follow the
>instructions from the PTF cover letter. You may need to IPL two times.

Order the PSP for V3R2 (SF98320) BEFORE you start the upgrade process to
determine if there are any defective PTFs which should be omitted.

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net