At 08:32 AM 5/23/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there any published figure for the percentage of impact of Y2K on AS/400
>applications?
>
>I understand that the percent varies with applications, OS level etc...but
>was just trying to find out if there was any average/trend.
>
>Thanks,
>Mani
========================
Sorry  there is no standard or average  percentage for the AS/400.  It
seems to  vary  by industry as to the  amount of (%) LoC  that is required
to be changed.   Atypically it is 4- 6%. More intensive industries like
insurance scale upwards to 11% plus. In any case  most of your programs
will be changed.

There are several things you can  do to make it  easier or better.
    Avoid anything that promised 100%  automated solution without  human
help at all stages.
   Avoid  unusual solutions Compression, Encapsulation and trick the data
base unless  there is  no other reasonable choice and they are VERY well
documented and  real short term! (think of  this as term survival insurance
with another price ticket added)

   Consider your Ad-Hoc and  Client Server  users as the  method is
selected.  Some  of these  are not  workable to the  end user and will
cause you  to do-it-again.

   You  should have  control over the project and  be along  with the users
the final testing vehicle.  This test area is the second  that  the Main
frames have the 400 community beat. And I am a confessed AS/400 bigot..
The second area is  Main frames are about  2+plus years  ahead of the
AS/400 folks.   Good thing there were some distinct advantages for the
400s. Time will tell.

You  might  estimate the  average AS/400 has 1  to 7 million LoC.
Applications like BPCS are much higher.

LoC (lines of code) is a relatively meaningless order of magnitude in
measuring the  total effort to make  applications/systems  Year 2000
compliant.  Relative complexity,  available skills, automated tools and
system resources are also key factors. As is the arrival of the first
processing of a 2000 date.

If you have not already done so  it is more than  time for a good Inventory
 and Business Impact Analysis -  By the time  you read this thee will be
less then 950 calendar days to  1/1/2000 and many applications will fail
before that creating corrupt data to  further complicate your life.  At the
moment  these detailed[ not surface] analysis are not overly expensive.
There are indications of  steep price increases as the demand  goes up.

Y2K  specific tools sets tend to reduce the  effort  by 8 to 10 X.
Retrofited tools designed for general purpose use have  lesser success
rates and  many more scan passes. And few if any additional added benefits
to the project.

Glenn
Glenn Ericson,          Phoenix Consulting
P O Box 701164   East Elmhurst NY 11370-3164 USA
Ph. 718 898 9805         Fx. 718 446 1150
AS/400 & Year 2000- - Solutions  © 1997copyright,  all rights reserved