  • Subject: Accessing CICS Applications from the AS/400
  • From: dquirk@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 97 02:28:30 +0000

  ACCESSING LEGACY CICS APPLICATIONS FROM THE AS/400

       A means now exists to access Legacy CICS Applications from
the AS/400, in a CLIENT/SERVER Environment. Using FEPI, IBM's
Front End Programming Interface, users on the AS400, as well as
other platforms, can now have quick and unlimited access to LEGACY
CICS Applications running on the Mainframe. All one has to do is to
establish an LU6.2 or TCP/IP Link between the Client (AS/400), and
the Mainframe, and with the use of FEPI one can access or execute the
desired CICS Transaction(s) from the client work station. FEPI, which
is now a standard part of CICS, executes the desired CICS Transaction
in storage (instead of at a terminal). All users at the Client work-
station have to do is to send up the data that is normally entered at
the terminal (over the LU6.2 or TCP/IP Link), such as account no.,
name, address, etc., and FEPI will execute the desired CICS Transact-
ion(s) in storage and then send the results back to the Client, where
the results can then be displayed, or files updated, or whatever.

      FEPI Programming can generally be done in a matter of weeks.
And as stated above it is a standard part of CICS versions 3.3 and
4.1. Further, from a 3.3 CICS region one can access older versions
of CICS, such as 2.1, etc. FEPI emulates the execution of the
desired CICS transaction in storage, instead of at a terminal. Using
the Keystroke Interface one can normally do the FEPI Programming
for 2 or 3 CICS Transactions in about 2 weeks. It also takes 2 days
or so to set it up. The amount of time required of course depends on
the number of CICS Transactions one wants to emulate.

      For further information on FEPI please email or call me
directly at:
                      dquirk@ibm.net
                      DONALD QUIRK
                      Computer Dynamics, Inc.