  • Subject: Re: AS/400 as Web Server
  • From: PaulMmn <PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:43:04 -0400

At 07:01 PM 4/29/97 -0400, Cindy wrote:
>Our company is reviewing the various alternatives for providing Internet
>e-mail and Web access to employees.  We have an AS/400 F50 running V3R2 (with
>possible plans to upgrade to RISC).  We also have Novell Servers running
>WFW311 on the desktops (with plans to migrate to combination Windows 95/NT).
> We use an NT based server for our remote access (RAS) for our salesforce.
> We had been thinking of a phased approach, using the RAS, in conjunction
>with MS-Mail for internet e-mail (and a proxy server).  Our parent company is
>AS/400 centric and will probably implement an AS/400 based approach.  Has
>anyone reviewed the pros and cons?  Any and all feedback would be most
>welcome!  TIA  Cindy

We set up our AS/400 to provide Internet EMail to all of our users.  It's
text only, but it lets all of our users, including Green Screen users send
and receive e-mail.

Once we go to V3.2.0 I hope to set the 400 up as a POP server to enable
attachments for those with PCs.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com