>RE:    Re: FW: OS/400 upgrades for CISC

Joe Teff said;

>John, for the most part I agree with your position. I also understand where
>Dave is coming from. The protection on investment though is a mirky issue.
>First there was the S/38 to AS/400 investment, then V1 to V2, then V2 to
>V3, CISC to RISC, V3 to V4..... These upgrades (more money) are happening
>at such a fast pace, that alot of companies are becoming concerned. I am
>really curious about the numbers of CISC boxes compared to RISC boxes and
>how soon they will convert. There is already a gap between CISC and RISC
>and I expect it to get wider. I also suspect that there will be a large
>base of CISC machines for a while at least.

>Joe Teff
>QDS
>Bloomington, MN

Joe;

I also have compassion for those on CISC(and Daves position).  The changes
ARE comming fast and furious.  I served on the COMMON Top Concerns Council
(I was Chairperson) and we noted (about 2-3 years ago) that the ability of
the majority of COMMON's constituents to absorb new changes
were being overwhelmed with the pace of the new releases and enhancements
that IBM is putting out.

How many sessions or
soundoffs have you been at where some asked for IBM to do something, only
to find out from the crowd that it was already out there and the person
hadn't heard about it. ( I think that is also why Requirements have
dropped off, most people say, gee they are probably already fixing
this no sense writting it down)

 Unfortunately WE'VE asked - No Demanded - IBM
to be more market driven, to be faster from R&D to Market, to push
the envelope with products and services... and they have.

I still stand by my corollaries to Microsoft & Intel. They wouldn't care
in the slightest whether they stranded people who bought their products
and that they didn't provide forward/backwards compatabilities.
(heck Powerpoint complains about importing older versions of Powerpoint,
and Word doesn't know what a document created with WORKs is, much less
import it.)

WE TOLD IBM to be more like Microsoft, (market driven) and they DID period.

It might be nice to have Floating types on V3R2, etc.  but the labs are
under the same pressure we are in our development shops. In order for stuff
to come out on this box (AS/400) It must come out pretty much all at once.
What I mean by that is,  It's a tightly integrated machine.  The security
must come out the same time the data base is released, the same time
the communications are released, the same time the language enhancement's
released, etc. and so on.  ( I know you can point out exceptions but you
get the point)

Does NT worry that the data base or security module isn't ready?
heck they don't even provide the other solutions, thats what you buy
from a 3rd party(much like Unix).

I'm still glad that we have a stable machine to stay on till we can move.
(I'm on V3R1 moving to V3R2 this week, Risc box in '98)
The main point I'm trying to make is that their doing pretty much
what WE told them.

Respectfully to all parties

John P. Carr  CDP
EdgeTech Inc.