  • Subject: Re: stupid cobol question
  • From: rbbaird@xxxxxxxxxxx (Rick Baird)
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 22:24:35 -0500

John Carr wrote:

> I forwarded your question to a friend in Toronto; I share his comment.
> I don't know if it will help at all but....

I already got my answer from Scott Monnig on M-L, but thanks for the
help anyway.

> >From: Jon Paris
> >Subject: stupid cobol question

> >You use LIKE instead of *LIKE i.e. 05 Copy-Name Like Cust-Name.

This will work just fine!

> >etc.). Renames on the other hand simply gives a different name to a
> >field. I've never found a use for renames, although obviously someone
> >the site he's working at did!!

Not actually - my problem was that, out of necessity, I had two
references (dds copys) to the same fields (file) in working storage, but
I needed unique field names to perform sql selects etc.

The example I was working with just hard coded a unique field name for
this purpose with a pic, and my best instincts told me I should waste my
time and effort poring over manuals to fix something that already worked
;-)

In my haste, I skipped right over "LIKE" and zeroed in on
RENAME/REDEFINE as the solution to my problem.  to make things worse,
MID-L was off-line that week, so I couldn't ask the experts.

As always, the answer was quick and correct, once M-L back on line.

Thanks to all,

rick