"Mark S. Waterbury" <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx> wrote:
. . .
use CPYF from the renamed original file to the new file, with ERRLVL(*NOMAX) to ignore any errors.
. . .

The plot thickens:

I simply tried doing a CPYF of the entire "problem" file (it's not very big) to a new one, freshly compiled from DDS, with ostensibly the same structure, with *NOCHK and ERRLVL(*NOMAX).

CPYF refused to copy the "problem" record.

So we've got a file that (with sufficient doctoring) QuestView can read, but which CPYF can't.

Just to be sure, I tried it not only on the V4R2 box that has succeeded our late, lamented V2R3 box as the seat of QuestView development, but also on the V5R2 test box that I used to initially restore the customer's save file.

This just keeps getting weirder.

Mark: If I understand your suggestions correctly, you said something about having Query pour its result directly into a file that's been properly compiled from DDS. I'm not exactly a Query/400 expert (I'm much more familiar with OPNQRYF and SQL). Could you explain that, in words of two syllables or less?

--
JHHL