IBM does not support the ability to enter system state from an application
program.  System state programs are patched (or altered) programs.  IBM
has long advised customers to not use patched programs as they can cause
unintended results including system crashes, data reliability issues and
other problems.  Indeed, IBM is aware of a number of customers that have
used patched programs (whether system state or not) that resulted in a
system crash, sometimes at critical times for the customer.

IBM believes patched programs may perform functions reserved for LIC and
i5/OS.  This interaction requires an intimate knowledge of LIC and i5/OS
by the developer of the product - information that includes trade secrets
of IBM and is not published by IBM.  IBM believes developers of such
patched programs may not fully understand all these interactions and
consequences of such a patched program nor the implications of how such
patched programs may affect the license agreements IBM has with its
customers.

Having said that, you are correct.  The specific changes that I was
referring to are not in V5R4.  However, there were a number of changes in
V5R4 that improved protection of LIC and i5/OS.  And while many companies
were involved in the early program offerings for V5R4, none has reported
problems (that I'm aware of) related to these V5R4 changes.

Bruce Vining

Dave McKenzie <davemck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mi400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/01/2006 04:03 PM
Please respond to
MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [MI400] V5R4 and patch programs

According to this post by Bruce Vining on 11/18/05:

  http://archive.midrange.com/mi400/200511/msg00013.html

system state programs won't be prevented in V5R4, but in some future
release.

Maybe someone who got V5R4 early can verify this.

 From the webcast PDF, "new hardware storage protection helps prevent
against rogue or altered programs from directly accessing system
objects, such as database records."

It looks like system state programs may still run, depending on what
they do.

(Message from UNDEL: "Who you callin' a rogue?" :-)

--Dave