Steve,

did you ever have the opportunity to do any SPL under MPE? (HP/3000 for
the rest of you folks).  They had a bit called a priv mode which you in
effect were SYS, or root for those from eunochs land.  System state
basically lets you be god.  And if you're an evil god and you have a bug
in your program, you are a toasted god...and IBM support will say "naughty
naughty..." :)  :)

Don in DC