It is easier to call a MI program than even find this.  We have the crypt
cards, but I can tell you doing it ourselves with MI is a lot easier.

Just setting up the beast was harder than making or calling a MI program.
Now if I lost the keys that set it up, I am hosed.  Have you seen how many
keys there is?

Again, you have taken something so simple and turned it into reading half of
the library of congress, then working it. If you can stay awake.  Have you
looked to see how it is done in Java, Microsoft, Atalla, or Jones Futurex?

My father always said one thing.  K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid, come out
behind the desk and talk to the real users.  Why is TCPIP world wide
standard but SNA is not.  Is TCPIP better.  Heck no, it is easier to
implement, and test.  A whole lot easier.  A 1000 times easier.

Out here in the real world, we want to concentrate on a business
application, and getting it running.  Not trying to stay awake reading
volumes of materials.

The des through mi is done with one simple call.  No setup, the program is
already written.  In RPG, I CALL DES PARMs(xxx xxxxx xxx xx ). Now in one
sentence of under 100 words or less, how do you setup and call des from the
finance package, who most people do not have?

This is why you are getting your butt beat by Microsoft.  You have a hell of
a better system, they make it easier for developers, you torture us.  But we
are loyal, but dwindling.  We have bosses, and projects demanding to be
finished in records time.

Let's take the finance package.  Where is it listed in marketing? How long
does it take to get?  If you can get the order department to find this, the
next thing is order it.  Wow, now you have eaten up about a month.  You get
it, and call help support.  Have you tried to call help support for finance,
or the crypt card.  Man, that is deer in headlights if I have ever seen it.
Getting past the call screener is difficult at beat.  Now down load the read
book.  Oops, too bad,  It has been over 6 weeks, and the customer was lost,
and you are fired.  I went that route, the bridge is out, the train is
broken and the track is missing.  It don't work, we have to make solutions
work.

Now, we have MI, so call the MI routines and you have des, and you can move
on to other things.  Out here is the real world we compete with others that
have the same things. IBM 400 is one of a kind. You have very loyal fans
that are dropping like flies.  Look at the sales, you know this.

In this case, I could not get help, so we dropped to MI to get it done. We
had that choice, or we could have gone to Microsoft.  I chose MI.  But how
many people can do that?

Please start listing to the customer, and give the tools to beat Microsoft's
butt, please don't repeat the age old marketing statements we have been
given.   We are in a battle to survive for our companies, we need the modern
weapons. We do not need to create them in the field, or worse wait for
marketing or help support come through. On these specially items, such as
finance or the crypt card, I can buy a Sun system, install it, and have it
running before I have the specially programs running.

Now which way am I suppose to go?

The answers you gave, we have been there and done that. I have the T shirt
to prove it.  And it is black.

Harry

For me take away of some access, and we will be forced to other platforms,
just because we cannot deal with IBM bureaucracy.  You know right now, if we
have a problem, there is no managers listed.  Call the operator, and ask for
Palamaro's number.  I know who is he.  Ask for the regional manager, oops,
they are not listed either.  But we get a task force which does not call us
back.  Oh yea, it has only been 2 months, we have to be patient for the
return call. KEEP US IN THE MAINSTREAM OF RPODUCTS.

Earth to IBM.  Listen to the customer or we will revolt with our $$$$$.

Give us the tools to create new applications fast, or get out of our way.

Lead me, Follow me, or get the hell out of the way.