thats about what i did but in mi, however in calling a rcvmsg in a cl pgm qcaptrs gets interposed and checks parms i suppose but don't know in the QWCAREA or whatever. And after an hour of trying last nite i can't defeat qcaptrs by the same method......I know its not much but i thought someone may have already fought this battle. thanks, ron

From: "Mark S. Waterbury" <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx>
To: "MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MI400] QCAPTRS
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:15:58 -0600

Here is what I have used for many years, written in OPM RPG/400; sorry, I don't remember where I got this little "gem" from, many years ago ... off some BBS or other ...

     H        1
     IPIDS       SDS                            500
     I                                     *PARMS   #PARMS
     I                                     *PROGRAM PGMNAM
     C           *ENTRY    PLIST
     C                     PARM           PARM01255
     C                     PARM           PARM02255
     C                     PARM           PARM03255
     C                     PARM           PARM04255
     C                     PARM           PARM05255
     C                     PARM           PARM06255
     C                     PARM           PARM07255
     C                     PARM           PARM08255
     C                     PARM           PARM09255
     C                     PARM           PARM10255
     C                     PARM           PARM11255
     C                     PARM           PARM12255
     C                     PARM           PARM13255
     C                     PARM           PARM14255
     C                     PARM           PARM15255
     C                     PARM           PARM16255
     C                     PARM           PARM17255
     C                     PARM           PARM18255
     C                     PARM           PARM19255
     C                     PARM           PARM20255
     C                     PARM           PARM21255
     C                     PARM           PARM22255
     C                     PARM           PARM23255
     C                     PARM           PARM24255
     C                     PARM           PARM25255
     C                     PARM           PARM26255
     C                     PARM           PARM27255
     C                     PARM           PARM28255
     C                     PARM           PARM29255
     C                     PARM           PARM30255
     C                     PARM           PARM31255
     C                     PARM           PARM32255
     C                     PARM           PARM33255
     C                     PARM           PARM34255
     C                     PARM           PARM35255
     C                     PARM           PARM36255
     C                     PARM           PARM37255
     C                     PARM           PARM38255
     C                     PARM           PARM39255
     C                     PARM           PARM40255
     C                     PARM           PARM41255
     C                     PARM           PARM42255
     C                     PARM           PARM43255
     C                     PARM           PARM44255
     C                     PARM           PARM45255
     C                     PARM           PARM46255
     C                     PARM           PARM47255
     C                     PARM           PARM48255
     C                     PARM           PARM49255
     C                     PARM           PARM50255
     C                     PARM           PARM51255
     C                     PARM           PARM52255
     C                     PARM           PARM53255
     C                     PARM           PARM54255
     C                     PARM           PARM55255
     C                     PARM           PARM56255
     C                     PARM           PARM57255
     C                     PARM           PARM58255
     C                     PARM           PARM59255
     C                     PARM           PARM60255
     C                     PARM           PARM61255
     C                     PARM           PARM62255
     C                     PARM           PARM63255
     C                     PARM           PARM64255
     C           PARM01    DUMP
     C                     SETON                     LR
     C                     RETRN

The idea is, you compile it, and rename it to the name of the program you are interested in finding out about the parameters for, and insert it into the *LIBL ahead of the "real" *PGM's library, and then run whatever applications would call this routine, and "Voila!" you get a nicely formatted "dump" from which you can pretty easily deduce the size and type of each parameter. NOTE: this version only handles up to 64 parameters; you can modify to add more, if needed... ;-)

Hope that helps someone out there?

Regards,

Mark S. Waterbury

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 11:04 AM Subject: RE: [MI400] QCAPTRS