From: mi400-bounces+srichter=autocoder.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mi400-bounces+srichter=autocoder.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Dave McKenzie
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 1:47 PM
To: MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: [MI400] Analyzing SAV save files from a PC

iSeries doesn't have a PowerPC assembler, per se.  The compilers
generate object-level W-code, which is then translated into NMI (New MI)
and then into PowerPC machine code.  No human-readable source code is
involved.

However, there are free PowerPC assemblers in the wild.  The GCC C/C++
compiler generates assembler source, which is then compiled by the GNU
assembler, "as".  It supports PowerPC, such as used by OS X on Power
Macs, including the 64-bit G5's.

Since source code for "as" is available, you could adapt it to iSeries
by adding the few iSeries-specific PowerPC machine instructions.

Let us know when you have the beta ready.  I'm sure we'll all be glad to
test it :-)

--Dave